Two Opposition Candidates for Democratic Republic of Congo’s Presidential Election Next Month Said They Would Drop Out and Back Another Opposition Candidate, Moise Katumbi, Following A Move Made by Another Aspirant Last Week.
Seth Kikuni and Franck Diongo Are the Latest Opposition Candidates to Throw Their Support Behind 58-Year-Old Katumbi, A Millionaire Businessman and Former Governor of the Copper-Rich Katanga Region.
Congo’s Former Prime Minister Augustin Matata Ponyo Said He Would Back Katumbi On Sunday Following the Recommendations of Leading Opposition Parties.
Representatives of Those Parties Met in South Africa Last Week to Discuss How to Protect the Dec. 20 General Election from Fraud and Decide On A Potential Joint Candidate To Challenge President Felix Tshisekedi, 60.
Tshisekedi, Who Began His Re-Election Bid On Sunday, Urged Voters to Give Him Another Mandate to Consolidate His Achievements After a First Term Mired by Economic Hardship and Spiralling Insecurity.